Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

paint & paper peeling off of drywall ceiling

paint & paper peeling off of drywall ceiling

Old 03-30-04, 06:19 AM
Question paint & paper peeling off of drywall ceiling

this is the ceiling (or I should say soffit) of my shower. There is a fan and no leak that I can see. I know I should probably just replace that section of drywall, but I don't want to undertake that task if I don't have to. How can I fix this so I can re-paint?

Give me the long or short version of how to make this repair and what supplies and tools are needed. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-04, 08:09 AM
pagerboy
Visiting Guest
The problem is that there is too much moisture in that area, use an oil based paint after the drywall is replaced. If that doesn't work, tile the whole place.

I had that problem but my drywall or plaster was not damaged, I hired a painter because I was too lazy to sand and prime all that stuff.

Old 03-30-04, 01:54 PM
Poke around and see if the ceiling seems spongy or weak. If not then just scrape off the loose stuff. Screw the existing drywall up since it may have come loose. Then skim over the entire surface until smooth. Then prime and paint with a good bathroom grade paint.

Old 03-30-04, 02:09 PM
skim with what?! Yes, I need it s-p-e-l-l-e-d out. Thanks.

Old 03-31-04, 04:02 PM
You would be skimming with drywall joint compound. I would recommend having a exhaust fan to remove moisture when the shower is in use.

Old 03-31-04, 04:51 PM
Whatever you decide to do with it, prime it with an oil-based primer, and the finish will last much longer.