Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Popcorn ceilings

Visiting Guest

04-05-04, 11:26 AM   #1  
LIRFC
Popcorn ceilings

I'm trying to decide what to do with my ugly popcorn ceiling. Remove it or try and cover it up? I would rather not go through the process of removing it, as I think it would lead to a total mess. Is there a way to cover it up with some sort of compound? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links

MO

04-06-04, 07:08 AM   #2  
Hello & welcome to the forums.

Unfortunately you can't simply cover the popcorn with joint compound, it just won't hold up.

Best solution is to remove furnishings from the room, cover carpets well. wet down the popcorn & go to work with a wide drywall blade & scrape the junk off.

Ceiling will then need to be taped, skimmed, & sanded as needed to bring it back to a flat smooth surface. Then you're ready to prime & paint.

Other options would include, covering it up either with a new layer of drywall, which I wouldn't really recommend for costs reasons vs. scraping. Also could think about covering it up with some sort of tiled covering. USG and many other companies offer very nice ceiling finish systems, that simulate any thing from a decorative plaster ceiling to polished tin, to many choices to list here. Run a Google search for "decorative ceiling tile" & I think you'll find alot of interesting sites to take a look at.

Good luck!

Search this Thread