Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

removing paint from interior block walls

Old 04-12-04, 10:59 PM

The previous homeowner had built an “add-on” office constructed of concrete block, dimensions 10’ X 10’ (just a square box). He had called it his office. This “office” is unfinished: just block walls. Problem I want to solve: is moisture and condensation on anything in the “office”. I live in Melbourne Beach, Florida on the Atlantic coast, by the way. I want to apply DryLock to the interior block, but the previous owner painted the interior. My question is: what is the best way to remove the paint on the interior block, so I can apply the DryLock so it seeps into the concrete and locks moisture out? (don’t even mention the roof: it is a poured-in-place slap with rebar that I DryLocked last year. I will be applying “torch-down roofing” in the near future for that).

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
majac777

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-04, 05:48 AM
Any idea what type of paint is on it right now? Oil? Latex? Flat or semi gloss?

Old 04-13-04, 10:24 AM
I believe that it's latex semi-gloss.
Thanks.

Old 04-14-04, 04:29 PM
I'm highly doubtful (99.9% sure) that you will never be able to strip/remove the existing paint because it seeped into the concrete pores too.

I would suggest sanding the walls as they are, and applying the Drylock.

Something is nagging at me though, I'm not sure the Drylock would solve a condensation problem. It sounds more like a ventilation/negative pressure problem that drawing the humidity into the room, and causing this. Is the room air-conditioned?