Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

removing paint from interior block walls

FL

04-12-04, 10:59 PM   #1  
removing paint from interior block walls

The previous homeowner had built an “add-on” office constructed of concrete block, dimensions 10’ X 10’ (just a square box). He had called it his office. This “office” is unfinished: just block walls. Problem I want to solve: is moisture and condensation on anything in the “office”. I live in Melbourne Beach, Florida on the Atlantic coast, by the way. I want to apply DryLock to the interior block, but the previous owner painted the interior. My question is: what is the best way to remove the paint on the interior block, so I can apply the DryLock so it seeps into the concrete and locks moisture out? (don’t even mention the roof: it is a poured-in-place slap with rebar that I DryLocked last year. I will be applying “torch-down roofing” in the near future for that).

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
majac777

Sponsored Links

04-13-04, 05:48 AM   #2  
Any idea what type of paint is on it right now? Oil? Latex? Flat or semi gloss?

FL

04-13-04, 10:24 AM   #3  
I believe that it's latex semi-gloss.
Thanks.

04-14-04, 04:29 PM   #4  
I'm highly doubtful (99.9% sure) that you will never be able to strip/remove the existing paint because it seeped into the concrete pores too.

I would suggest sanding the walls as they are, and applying the Drylock.

Something is nagging at me though, I'm not sure the Drylock would solve a condensation problem. It sounds more like a ventilation/negative pressure problem that drawing the humidity into the room, and causing this. Is the room air-conditioned?

Search this Thread