Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

drywall paint is peeling ceiling and walls

Old 04-14-04, 04:28 PM
curly
Visiting Guest

Our house is about 16 years old and looks brandnew, except for one of the bathrooms that I have made a mess out of. I am using an electric sander and scraping paint off the drywalls and scraping the paint off the ceiling. I think the only reason the paint started peeling a few years ago: because maybe a primer was not used on the first coat when the house was new, I didnot use a primer, because I didn't know better. Anyway the drywall itself is very dry. We have a ceiling fan, and I use to close the door when I showered and took very hot steaming showers. I think that is the reason it started peeling. Anyway I need help, I have gouged a few spots. What should I do, I need lots of help. Thank you, curly

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-04, 04:34 PM
Forget the electric sander, and just use a scraper to remove all of the peeling paint thats possible. Prime the whole room with an oil-based primer. After thats dry, you should smooth or float out the rough areas with joint compound. After as many coats it takes until your satisfied with the look/feel of the walls, reprime the patched areas with another coat of the oil. Then lightly sand all the walls and ceiling, (I prefer a sanding pole with a fine grit sanding screen), and apply 2 coats good quality latex paint. This should do the trick.

You might also want to either use a specific kitchen and bath paint, or add a mold/mildew inhibitor to it.

Old 04-14-04, 06:07 PM
curly
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Thanks

Originally posted by prowallguy
Forget the electric sander, and just use a scraper to remove all of the peeling paint thats possible. Prime the whole room with an oil-based primer. After thats dry, you should smooth or float out the rough areas with joint compound. After as many coats it takes until your satisfied with the look/feel of the walls, reprime the patched areas with another coat of the oil. Then lightly sand all the walls and ceiling, (I prefer a sanding pole with a fine grit sanding screen), and apply 2 coats good quality latex paint. This should do the trick.

You might also want to either use a specific kitchen and bath paint, or add a mold/mildew inhibitor to it.