Drooping ceiling

Old 04-14-04, 09:22 PM
dusteater
Visiting Guest
Drooping ceiling

Close to buying a 1950's ranch. The living room ceiling is starting to droop. The Home Inspector says don't worry, just jack it up when you next paint the ceiling and reattach the ceiling to the rafters (the nails are coming out of the supporting structure). He says this shouldn't be too difficult or expensive. Is he correct? Is this something I can do myself or should I bring in the professionals?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-04, 07:05 AM
If you have a plaster ceiling then it will have to be removed and a drywall ceiling put up. If it is drywall then you might be able to screw it back up but doubtful. If it got wet then dried in that bowed position then it will stay that shape. And when you go to screw it back up then it will break. Either way it's a little bit bigger deal then what this inspector is saying. Then again you might have some structural damage and the ceiling joists are bowing. You never really know until you get into it.

Old 04-15-04, 10:45 PM
You won't know until you get up in the attic and look around.

It could just be that the drywall wasn't adequately secured to tolerate additional insulation.

It could be that a crooked joist prevented the sheetrock nails pulling the 'rock onto the joist edge. Nails are trouble when you try to pull the 'rock up tight; better to use screws.

If the sheet rock is in good shape, go up in the attic and locate the area. This may mean removing insulation. Where the sag is large enough, apply a construction adhesive to the underside of each joist and then come back downstairs.

Use sheetrock screws and fender washers to pull the 'rock up tight to the joists. Lots of them, say one every six inches. You will need to incrementally tighten each screw to avoid pulling through.

Give it a few days, and remove one screw/washer at a time. Take off the washer and re-install the screw as normal.

If you are luck, you saved the situation.

Old 04-16-04, 07:33 AM
If you are buying the house I would go in assuming the worst. Perhaps you should suggest the current owners resolve the problem as a part of you offer. If it is a simple repair they should have no reason not to accommodate you. The fact that they have not resolved the problem prior to selling leads me to believe there may be more than meets the eye. If they refuse to fix it I would request money be held in escrow to cover the repair. At the very least I would have a contractor look at and suggest the needed repair and approx. cost. Quotes are free and you would submit you bid better informed. Good Luck

Old 04-16-04, 12:21 PM
I agree

with homer (dooo!). Since you are in the process of buying this house it might be a great bragining chip. Have 3 contractors give you bids so you get an accurate idea of what the real cost would be then you can decide if you still want to purchease the house or require the seller to fix before hand