new counter top on existing wall

Old 04-19-04, 07:01 AM
Visiting Guest
new counter top on existing wall

I've got two questions.

First I've got a wall that divideds my kitchen and family room on the first floor of a two story home. The wall is approx 40" high and has wooden spindles for the top of the wall to the celing, and it runs paralell to the floor joists. Is this wall load bearing, I could knock the spindles out easly with one swing of a hammer.

Second ? What I want to do is take out the spindles and put approx. 14-16" counter top on top of the half wall. Currently the wall has 9 1/2" top underneat the spindles the wall is a standard 2 by 4 frame finished with drywall. What kind of additional support would you recomend for the additional 5-7 inches so it could be used as psuedo bar?

Thanks

Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-04, 11:33 AM
If you just knock out the spindles and attach some decent backets to the studs in the half wall on either side, your counter should be good & secure.

As to whether or not this is a load-bearing wall, really couldn't say without more info on the framing.

Old 04-19-04, 12:33 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks Awesome.

What kind of info would you need about the framing?

Here's what I know:

It's 2 story built in 1970 with a full basement.
The wall in question is secured to and thru the sub-floor (attached to the first floor joist below.
Both the ceiling and floor joist run parallel to the wall.
The spans approx. 7 feet of a 12 foot room span.

If you would take the spindles out it would look like a C (but more square than that one I hope).

Is there any way that the spinndles could be load bearing?

Old 04-19-04, 01:57 PM
Probably not a load bearing wall. Unless there is a big beam above the opening then No. Floor joist and ceiling joists all go the same direction, but... You can never tell if somebody messed up along the way.

Old 04-19-04, 02:16 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks Coops

Big beam over the opening huh. What I believe is over the opening is a header that may containg the waste drain from the upstairs bathrooms. If I open up the wall and see 2 x 4 framing can I assume that I'm okay to remove the spindles? It may not be evident from my previous posts but all I want to remove is the spindles, I don't want to touch the what's above them.

Old 04-21-04, 11:57 AM
even if it is a load bearing wall

removing the spindles isn't going to hurt the structure. If it is load bearing then the beam above the spindles is likely handling the load. Cut away my friend