Framing an arch?

Old 04-23-04, 10:53 AM
Framing an arch?

They've been messing with the site , haven't they? Niiiiicccceeee!<p>Either my questions are becoming more esoteric, or I just can't tell exactly where to put stuff these days . Anyway, I'm changing a couple of doorways in my house to drywall archways, and framing up another new doorway for the same. I have been unable to find any clear instructions on the <b>best</b> way to go about framing the arches. I can think of several ways to do it, but I really don't want to re-invent the wheel if I don't have to (and have to change a flat later on ). Any help appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-04, 07:33 PM
Take a look at this site, I think you'll find it's the easy way out.

http://www.creativecorners.net/

Old 04-24-04, 09:24 AM
60 bucks, huh ? That looks an <i>awful</i> lot like a bit of polystyrene foam with paper faces, like a super-sized bit of foamcore. Not to worry, I finally found a decent description of one way to do it once I took all the modifiers out of my queries and just queried "drywall arch," http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m.../article.jhtml . Now of course I've run into another problem (when will I learn to do things the normal way instead of doing something out of the ordinary???) in that of course the big box stores do not carry 1/4" drywall, never mind 1/4" <b>flexible</b> drywall. Or flexible drywall corner bead. I thought I might save a trip to the "other side of the tracks" as it were (where the contractor's supply outlets tend to be) and have them just order me a sheet. However when I asked at the contractor's desk, the fellow on duty had to ask somebody else about it, and then said he would have to call USG to see if they <i>made</i> it as he was not "... familiar with the product." It's enough to make a person despair . I guess I'll be calling the "real" builder's supply and drywall places Monday to see if I can find one that will sell me ONE piece of 1/4" flex.

Old 04-24-04, 10:15 AM
My home depot and lowes sell 1/4" rock. Sorry yours does not. Go to the drywall supply store and buy it there. Don't worry they will sell to anyone. Don't worry about buying flex rock either. I personally don't see any difference.

Old 04-24-04, 05:13 PM
That's a pretty good article you found there diy lady, I'd agree with Coops about the flexible 1/4", just use regular 1/4" & wet it so you can mould it around the arch.

Old 04-29-04, 04:56 PM
Just a little update. I got the 1/4" inch (went ahead and got the flex since I had to go to the drywall place anyway) and framed everything up. The "large" doorway (about 5') between the living room/dining room, went up without a hitch, no problems. I thought: "Hey! This isn't so hard!" Then of course I moved over to the "smaller" doorway (36") and ruined most of the rest of the 1/4" flex sheet I had until I finally gave in and just scored the back of it and went with that. It is a very tight radius, 12", so I'm really not surprised I ran into problems. The only surprise was that the first doorway went up without a hitch! (see my motto .) I'll be mudding tomorrow! When I get it done to my satisfaction I'll post either a link or an actual pic. I can't keep up with which forums allow what, so I'll have to experiment

Old 06-28-04, 10:13 AM
maks
Visiting Guest
plywood?

Is it a bad idea to bend a plywood instead of 1/4" rock?