Tape goo on walls - help!!

Old 04-24-04, 09:23 AM
BeccaLynn
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Tape goo on walls - help!!

I am what you would call a moron. Yes.

During one of my younger decorating days I decided it was easier to tape up picture on the wall. I had TONS of pictures up. Now, a few years later, I've decided to re-paint the drywall and make the room nice and fresh. As I begin this project I'm taking down the picture and now there is scotch tape goo all over the walls. Ew. I don't know if I can paint over it! It's sticky still. I've tried scrubbing the wall with goo-gone orange clean stuff, with WD-40, and with a scotch bright abrasive pad. I can't really get the goo off, plus it's taking forever!!

Does anyone know a trick or easy way to get this goo off? Do I even need to or can I patch over the holes and paint over the goo? I don't know what to do!!! Help!!

Becs

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-04, 05:17 PM
Hello Becs & welcome to the forums.

Might try a product called Oops, but if the goo has been on there a very long time, might be time to break out the electric sander and then be ready to do some mudding to smooth the wall back out. Well at least you know not to do that again.

Old 04-24-04, 07:50 PM
BeccaLynn
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by awesomedell
Hello Becs & welcome to the forums.

Might try a product called Oops, but if the goo has been on there a very long time, might be time to break out the electric sander and then be ready to do some mudding to smooth the wall back out. Well at least you know not to do that again.
Yes, I am a super moron and will NEVER EVER TAPE THINGS again! If I could go back and kick my own butt I would!

BTW: I talked to people at Home Depot who suggested a mixture of very hot water, Dawn detergent, and vinegar. I spent the day scrub scrub scrubbing and heating up the goo with a hair drier as heat seemed the crucial element. It takes a WHILE but it seems to remove the goo. My hand are killing me though and I've only done about half the job. Ugh. I'm going to try sanding tomorrow with very fine grade paper just to see if it loosens it up. But the tape has been on there FOREVER, at least 9 years, and just does not want to come off. So any further suggestions are still welcome!

Old 04-25-04, 02:26 PM
Yeah the heat & a stiff putty knife might be the best method with it being on there for nearly a decade. Still going to be quite a job, bummer, but look at the bright side, ...at least you aren't paying someone else by the hour to do it!

Old 04-25-04, 03:51 PM
Wet a paper towel with some paint thinner and wipe it over the goo. Might take a while, but it should come off.

Old 04-25-04, 08:39 PM
BeccaLynn
Visiting Guest
That would be a bummer!!

Originally Posted by awesomedell
Yeah the heat & a stiff putty knife might be the best method with it being on there for nearly a decade. Still going to be quite a job, bummer, but look at the bright side, ...at least you aren't paying someone else by the hour to do it!
Though you should see my poor hands from the scrubbing the walls and using the blow drier

Old 04-26-04, 05:40 AM
I agree with Dave, paint thinner is what I use, should make short work of it.

With good ventilation and gloves, lacquer thinner works even better.

Old 05-18-05, 06:22 AM
I've used a product called Goof Off for this kind of stuff - bought it at HD.