Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Shower Ceiling Question

ME

04-24-04, 01:38 PM   #1  
Shower Ceiling Question

My bathroom ceiling is textured (popcorn?). The part of the ceiling over the shower is flaking off, presumably due to moisture. I've scraped off the texture and am wondering what to replace it with. Should I repaint it and forget texturing it, and just have the shower have a different type of ceiling than the rest of the bathroom? If I did this, I would obviously have some moulding of some kind run between the old ceiling and the shower ceiling. If I do this, what should I do in terms or priming and painting the ceiling so that the moisture won't be an issue again?

Sponsored Links

MO

04-24-04, 05:05 PM   #2  
Hello & welcome aboard!

I think if I was doing this, I'd scrape the rest of the ceiling, then reskim the entire thing as needed, apply an oil-based primer and then paint. When choosing paint be sure to get one with a mold & algea inhibitor, it'll be labeled as such.

Does this bath room have an exhaust fan? If not I'd give serious consideration to installing one.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

ME

04-24-04, 06:40 PM   #3  
Yes, there is an exhaust fan. Also, excuse my lack of knowledge here, but what do you mean by "reskin"? Thank you so much for your help!

KS

04-25-04, 06:16 AM   #4  
a bathroom is no place for popcorn ceilings. Do what awesomdell has suggested and scrape the rest of the ceiling. you are going to have to re mud(skim) all the joints and sand it smooth before paint.

ME

04-26-04, 07:53 AM   #5  
This is my first time dealing with ceiling issues, so I'm not up on all the terms. What does "re mud" refer to? Thank you!

KS

04-26-04, 09:53 AM   #6  
Scrape the ceiling. sand the ceiling and get all the texture residue off. Put a thin layer of mud over every joint, corner and screw. Sand everything you put mud on. Touch up. Prime the ceiling with a stain blocker. Look for imperfections. Touch up if needed. Prime touched up spots(if needed). Put on your color coat of paint.

CAL

04-26-04, 11:17 AM   #7  
Drywall Mud refers to "Multi-Purpose Joint Compound". You can buy this premixed at most hardware or home depot stores. You can skim this compound over the entire ceiling or tape and seal drywall joints with it. You will also need a large tape knife to apply the mud.

ME

04-27-04, 08:14 AM   #8  
That's what I needed- thank you!!

MO

04-28-04, 06:10 AM   #9  
I would recommend using the Lite joint compound instead of the all-purpose. It takes less thinning with water & is easier to use & sand IMO.

Search this Thread