Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ceiling Pricing

Visiting Guest

04-26-04, 07:23 PM   #1  
jersey13
Ceiling Pricing

I am replacing my basement ceiling 6 1/2 feet high. Current has tung and groove scares, which is badly worn. I am looking to put a drop ceiling in. Reason for improvement, is that I am putting my house on the market and to improve the appearance. The basement is 500 sq. ft. Any idea as to the cost of removing and replacing the ceiling? Any other suggestions? I have had water damage b/c of old bathroom, which has been replaced. I feel the drop ceiling is better in case of future water problems. Thanks in advance. Tim

Sponsored Links

MO

04-27-04, 02:59 PM   #2  
Check the phone book thereand call. Can go to Home Depot or lowes They can tell you cost for this

ED

Visiting Guest

04-27-04, 07:50 PM   #3  
crossroads545
ceiling

at 6 and 1/2 ft. i would think you may wanna consider sheetrocking it as to save as much room as possible in height.

MD

04-29-04, 11:44 AM   #4  
Personally, I feel 6 1/2ft is way to low and will make the basement look tiny.

When I was shopping for a new home, just last month, I walked out of every home that had drop ceilings because of that.

Like the previous poster, I'd recommand a drywall ceiling to get as much room as possible.

BTW, I ended up putting a contract in on a home with an unfinished basement but had 9 ft walls. I feel most folks, when looking for a home, are looking for homes that are open, even if the sq footage is small. Appearance is everything.

MO

04-29-04, 01:07 PM   #5  
Thats why we us a 10' pour on all basements now.

ED

Visiting Guest

05-01-04, 08:44 AM   #6  
wiz561
drywall ceilings

Quick question...when you do a drywall ceiling in a basement, how do you leave all the openings for electrical? My basement has tons of boxes all over the place, and I thought you couldn't plaster over these because of building codes.

Just wondering before I actually get myself into some headaches....

Thanks!

MO

05-01-04, 08:06 PM   #7  
Outlet & fixture boxes are usually marked for location, then the sheet is hung right over them & they are cutout with a rotozip. You can also do the extra measuring & precut them, but it's alot harder to make a clean job of it that way.

I have to agree, 6 1/2' lid is going to feel like a tomb! Best of luck with the project.

MD

05-02-04, 10:37 AM   #8  
Posted By: Ed Imeduc Thats why we us a 10' pour on all basements now.

ED
Ed,

Where in FL do they have basements? I've been told no basements in FL because of the water table, but I never believed it. If they can build an inground pool that doesn't leak water out, I don't see a reason why they can't build the opposite.

I had always thought the reason folks didn't get basements down there was because there was no reason to dig down past the frost line for the footers.

Up here, the reason basements were done, atleast to my understanding, was because it didn't cost that much more to go another few feet and to pour the floor.

MO

05-02-04, 04:39 PM   #9  
That 10' pour for a basement is not down here but up in Missouri. At the same time I have put in grade beam slabs up there that have worked well.
Down here you cant put a basement in because of the water. If you did it would pop up out of the ground on you.
The pools you see down here all have a drain pipe or well point down under them. Now when you want to work on the pool or like have to have it remarcited. Then you have to put a pump on that inground pipe and pump it for 2 days then drain the pool. that pump has to run all the time till you fill the pool with water .OR IT WILL POP up out of the ground on you.
Up here, the reason basements were done, at least to my understanding, was because it didn't cost that much more to go another few feet and to pour the floor.
And that is for sure right . Also dont for get it doubles the square feet of the home for just a few $$$$$ is all.
Now because of land cost everything down here is almost all two story high.

ED

Search this Thread