drop ceiling removal

Old 04-27-04, 06:43 PM
zepplin12
Visiting Guest
Question drop ceiling removal

undefined
I have just purchased a new home.The past owner dropped the ceiling in the 70's. I want to remove the dropped ceiling and expose the original. Has anyone had experience removing a dropped ceiling? If so, would I be able to handle the main removal by myself? thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-04, 06:55 AM
I would suggest that if you haven't already done so to get a step ladder & go up & pop up one of the tiles & take a look at what's above the drop ceiling. Alot of homes were retrofitted with drop ceilings in the 70's as an energy conservation measure & the old ceiling above is in relatively good shape, but it also could have been installed to hide badly water stained or crumbling plaster ceilings.

If you still want to remove the drop lid, by all means go for it. Remove the tiles first & then start disassembling the track. take out the cross tee first & then take down the long runners of track. Might want to wear some work gloves & eye protection, metal track may have some sharp edges & bound to be alot of dust & whatnot up there you don't want in your eyes. Good luck.