Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Repairing popcorn/stipple ceiling

Visiting Guest

04-29-04, 12:35 PM   #1  
Mark in Ottawa
Repairing popcorn/stipple ceiling

What's the difference between popcorn, stipple and stucco ceilings?

I have a 16 yr old townhome with stipple/popcorn ceilings throughout. Under the previous owner, the livingroom ceiling suffered some water damage. The ceiling (and the leak) was repaired but the edges of the repair are very noticable - whoever did the repairs either didn't blend the new stipple/popcorn with the old very well or didn't mud the joints very well.

How can I fix this? Would it be best to have the whole ceiling re-sprayed or can the re-spray be feathered in with the existing finish? Should I scrape the joints clean and re-mud them before hand?

Help....I don't want to start something I can't finish.

Mark

Sponsored Links

KS

04-30-04, 09:02 AM   #2  
Popcorn (acoustic) texture is polystyrene balls mixed with a powder form of drywall compound that is sprayed on. This is not painted after application. It falls off easily and discolors easily as well. Stipple is applied with a brush and pre mixed joint compound and is painted after application. Stucco is an exterior application using sand and portland cement. You need to determine whether you have stipple or popcorn. If you have popcorn then 2 things may be happening. 1- you have a bad patch and that shows through the texture. 2- The color doesn't match and you see that. And I guess another problem might be that the texture is the wrong size or not sprayed on enough. We need to know what the problem is to come up with the easiest solution. A photo would be best.

Search this Thread