Drywall Hanging Tips Requested

Old 05-02-04, 07:36 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Drywall Hanging Tips Requested

My drywall for my basement finish is arriving tomorrow (all 60 sheets of it ).

One thing I don't quite understand. Everthing I've read says to hang with the least amount of joints. Are all the edges (top, bottom, and sides) tapered or just the sides?
I thought it was just the sides which makes me think all vertical would be best.
Would also appreciate any tips for a first timer.
Thanks

Old 05-03-04, 06:11 AM
M
The "top" and "bottom" are tapered. So if you hang it horizantally, they butt together and form a recess for tape and mud.

Start with the ceiling and work your way down. Are you using screws or nails?

Old 05-03-04, 07:22 AM
D
thanks, I am using 1 1/4" screws. I purchased a "drywall bit" and will be using my electric drill (don't think my 9.6 dewalt will handle it).
Waiting for delivery as I type.
Funny, HD said about 8 or 9 am. The clock now says 9:25. Why do I have a feeling I won't be seeing it till noon.

Old 05-03-04, 07:28 AM
D
Wouldn't ya know as soon as I posted I got a call saying "see ya in a half n hour".

Old 05-03-04, 11:56 AM
Like the previous poster said, start with the ceiling & work your way down. Hang the top sheet on a wall first, try to avoid as many butt joints as you can, but if you must have them, I like to put them above a door or window opening. But to not have your butt joint land on the king stud that runs right next to these openings or you will get cracks sooner than later! Also be sure to scatter any butt joints. (Ex: You've got a 13 1/2' wall & you're hanging 12' sheets, the butts should be on opposite ends of the wall from the top to the bottom sheet.) I'd also recommend using drywall adhesive on the wall studs when hanging on wood framing.

Go to this page & check out the links provided there for more info. http://doityourself.com/wall/index.shtml

Good luck!

Old 05-03-04, 12:39 PM
D
so what exactly is the difference between a butt joint and a regular joint. If you had a 13' wall with 12' sheets couldn't you just put the "cut" edge into the corner?
Sorry, just thinking out loud.

Old 05-03-04, 08:39 PM
I would strongly recommend that you hang the wall sheets horizontally instead of vertically, you'll have alot less finishing to do in an average sized room & it'll be easier to do. If you hang the sheets vertically, (called stand-ups in the trade) you'll have all recessed seams to finish, but they will run floor to ceiling. If the sheets are hung horizontally, you have one recessed seam at waist level all the way around the room and possibly a couple of butt joints on three of the walls. A butt joint is where the ends of two sheets meet when they are hung laying down. (horizontally)

Hope that helps.

Old 05-04-04, 06:31 AM
M
watch your screws too

If you have any p/t wood in that basement, not just any screw will do. Some cannot be used with p/t wood. Btw, if your framing is wooden, get a drywall hammer and a variety of drywall nails as a back up to your screws. You'll find you have more control with a hammer in a tight spot. At least I do

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: