Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

taping corners......

05-03-04, 07:17 AM   #1  
taping corners......

Can someone tell me the secret of taping inside corners? I have tried and tried to get them to work without bubbles but I cant get it to work. I use fiberglass tape on the straight joints and have been told to use it in the corners also.....will that work? are there any problems I will run into by doing this?

Sponsored Links

MO

05-03-04, 12:12 PM   #2  
I would advise you use paper tape for the corners, it's got a precrease in the center & can be folded to give you a nice straight line down the corner. You also would find it easier to use a corning tool sold at home centers to imbed the tape in the corner, rather than trying to do it with a flat blade.

This page here might help ya out some too. http://doityourself.com/wall/jointcompound.htm

Good luck!

05-03-04, 01:11 PM   #3  
I have the corner tool and I still fail at this. I use the all purpose joint compound right out of the 5 gallon pail. Should I be thinning the mixure down? I notice they make a spray adhesive for outside corners....can i use that for the inside?

thanks

MO

05-04-04, 07:48 AM   #4  
That all purpose mud needs to be thinned down quite a bit for taping. I would say you're getting way too much mud under your tape also. The mud should be the consistency of soft-serve ice cream & you must use considerable force to force out the excess mud from under the tape. You really need a big egg beater & a high speed drill to mix your mud properly, but a tater masher, sold at hardware stores will do the same trick, but with alot more effort.

Not sure what you're talking about with the spray adhesive, never used anything like that for taping.

05-04-04, 01:12 PM   #5  
dont over work the mud.. use a 4 inch knife to apply it and goto a six inch knife to smooth it.

apply it, smooth it, leave it...use the knife after it is dry to knock off any bumps and lightly sand before the second and third coats.

easiest method is coat one side at a time when applying the first coat...Hit the second side when the first is dry....

05-05-04, 08:57 AM   #6  
stephens.....I think what I am doing is trying to squeegee as much mud out from under the tape as possible. Ill try going a little easier once and see what that does.

thank you

KS

05-05-04, 03:14 PM   #7  
Pre fill any gaps you have. Load each corner with mud. Push your tape into the corner. Mash it down with your knife. Blisters are caused by not enough mud under the tape. They can also be caused by not pre filling any gaps.

Search this Thread