Basement Drywall Ceiling

Old 05-04-04, 02:58 PM
Bradley
Visiting Guest
Basement Drywall Ceiling

I've finished framing and installing the electrical fixtures in my basement and I'm about to start working on the drywall. I have a lot of can lights in the ceiling and I'm wondering if it's better to mark the locations and cut once the sheet is in place or to locate and cut the holes before raising the sheet.

Thanks

Brad

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-04, 03:22 PM
If you've got a roto-zip that's the tool to use. You can pick up a cheapy for about $40 at HD or Lowes that'll last about two or three rooms worth of drywall, but IMO it's the only way to do can lights. Measure from the edge of the sheet or the wall to the center of the light, punch in with a guide-point bit go to the edge pull it out & reinsert just on the outside edge & run it around counter-clockwise.

Old 05-04-04, 08:17 PM
boardslinger
Visiting Guest
For a beginner I agree with Dell, go get a rotozip or something simialr. I don't like doing overhead cutting so I would cut out and then hang, but we're talking 10 years experience in rock. So get a roto zip and some masks. Good Luck.

Old 05-05-04, 06:33 AM
You seriously pre-cut lid sheets Boardslinger? Man doesn't that slow you down alot? Only time I do pre-cut is when the hvac crew installs their ducts w/o proper support and they are real flimsy. I couldn't imagine hanging w/o one!

Old 05-05-04, 01:14 PM
boardslinger
Visiting Guest
I sure do Dell. I don't like cutting overhead. It's not as tight and clean as routering out, but it's pretty close. And what little gaps I may have The tape4rs can fix without inncodent. Before my partners done screwing off the last sheet it's cut and waiting.