Drywall Joints

Old 05-04-04, 06:32 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wink Drywall Joints

Hi everyone I took a door frame/door out and am making wall in place. I know I need a couple of sheets of drywall. My question is with the drywall edge to old door frame,the edge of the drywall is just cut out. How do I tape and mud without the tapered drywall edge on the frame. Obviosly I could just tape and mud but I am sure the seam will be noticeable. thanx.

Old 05-04-04, 08:14 PM
boardslinger
Visiting Guest
You are going to have to float the mud out further to hide the joint. Use your knife to see how much mud you are going to need to fill the area. Can be done but will take some time and patience.

Old 05-05-04, 06:29 AM
This repair (sorry to say) could be the most difficult to do. If you have a tapered edge you must fill it in with mud before you tape. Likewise, you must pre fill any gaps. Like boarslinger says use your 12" knife as a straight edge and see where the low spots are and fill those with more mud.

Old 05-05-04, 06:47 AM
Go in from the edge of the joint 1/4" & score a line with your knife, then cut the end of the sheet at a 45 degree angle. That'll make the joint easier to fill & tape. If you run a factory tapered edge up to a cut edge you obviously don't want to do it on that side, but it will help butt joints easier to hide. And like the other guys said you've got to feather out the joint much wider that a recessed seam. Just make sure you don't try to fill with too thick of a coat, mud (joint compound) has to be applied in thin layers or else it will crack. Good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: