Help! Ceiling delamination?

Old 05-08-04, 01:05 PM
jlackey
Visiting Guest
Help! Ceiling delamination?

We REALLY need some help/advice. After losing my job due to a huge downsizing at my company, we are in the middle of both trying to find a new job and selling our house (there's no work of my kind in this small town.) And it seems like, to add to the pressure/stress, every time we think we have the house ready we get hit with "one more thing" - that always costs money.

So - someone looked at the house today (we were out of the house, he looked with our realtor) and apparently he's a builder. And he told our realtor that our ceilings were delaminating. Which apparently will cost some big bucks to repair, particularly if its downstairs as well as upstairs.

So - I don't have a clue how to tell if he's telling the truth (why would he lie?) nor how to tell (how did he tell?) Someone said get on a step ladder and push on the ceiling and if it moves up, it is delaminating and needs to be repaired.

So - I can't afford to have all my ceilings torn up, while I'm trying to have people look at the house. Even though no one else would have ever seen this, I feel the right thing to do is to repair this if its true.

So can someone tell me what the right way to have this repaired is? And how to tell which ceilings need to be fixed? Man - just when we think we can't be more stressed....

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-04, 07:28 PM
boardslinger
Visiting Guest
If it's a drywall ceiling you can rescrew it off. The screws will suck the rock back up to the joists, trhen all you will have to do is spot the screws with mud and touch up with paint. If it is a plater ceiling, there isn't much you can do but either tear it out and redo the ceiling or knock a few $$ off of the asking price. Good Luck, on the sale and a new career. Hang tough buddy, it will get better.

Old 05-09-04, 04:20 PM
jlackey
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply - apparently a lot of the houses in this area have this problem - they used a glue in the process, and it failed. The "good" news is that ceiling companies in this area are familiar with the problem, and can fix it by apparently using screws, then (as you said) covering the holes and painting the ceiling. It sounds as if it may cost about $1000 (ugh!) - some people have apparently gotten their insurance companies to pay for it (if this problem wasn't specifically excluded in their policies) - the insurance companies apparently always say "Oh, we don't cover that" but if there was no specific exclusion, apparently people have pushed and the insurance companies caved. Hopefully tomorrow we'll get a decent estimate and the insurance company will pay - then it will just be an inconvenience and not a big chunk out of our pocket (tough when you're between jobs!)

Thanks.

Old 05-09-04, 05:09 PM
boardslinger
Visiting Guest
If your ins. com. doesn't cover it, you can do it yourself, with either screws or drywall nails, with an overall cost of about 10% of the cost you posted. It's rather simple. Joists should be 16" if it's a 2 story, and possibly 24" if single. Good Luck. Hope everything works out.