Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How do i make a concrete block wall look good?

Visiting Guest

05-22-04, 09:37 AM   #1  
Mac34
How do i make a concrete block wall look good?

i have one concrete block wall in the porch, i don't just want to paint it and i need advice on how to make it look nice without drywalling it....faux finish, plaster? how do i do this
thanks

Sponsored Links

MO

05-22-04, 11:41 AM   #2  
Hi Mac,

Depends on what you've got in mind, you could glue about any kind of panel over the wall with liquid nails. Wood paneling, fiberglass, whatever.

Another idea would be to go over the block with a layer of cement with a trowel & trowel it smooth, either leave it like that or come back with a second coat to apply whatever kind of texture suits your fancy. Of course once you put cement there, it's there permanent pretty much.

You could also get drywall mud to stick to the block w/o a problem as long as it's clean & stays dry. I think I'd still mix up a little mortar mix first and smooth out the grout lines. Then you can apply drywall mud to achieve a look similiar to plaster either a slick finished look or a textured look. Don't try to put too thick of a layer on at a time or the mud will crack on you, has to be done in thin layers.

All depends on what you like, that'll maybe give you some ideas and I'm sure others here will also have some suggestions. Good luck, post back here on this same thread if you have more questions on this project. Have fun.

KS

05-22-04, 01:01 PM   #3  
I agree with 'dell. They sell a product called quick wall at home depot. Its a white portland cement with fiberglass in it. It's made for this very thing. You could trowel it on and fill in all the low spots and paint it after.

Search this Thread