Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Popcorn Ceiling: Drywall or Skimcoat?

Visiting Guest

05-31-04, 11:48 AM   #1  
mortimer74
Popcorn Ceiling: Drywall or Skimcoat?

I have 1000 ft2 heavily textured popcorn ceilings with asbestos, so I am looking for alternatives to removal. For the finished work I would like a light texture (orange peel).

It appears the best option is to install new 1/2" drywall over the popcorn. Does anyone have an opinion on whether it would be easier to skim coat the ceiling to get a smoother surface? Will the mud adhere to the popcorn even though it has been painted with latex paint?

Thanks for any advice you might have!

Sponsored Links

KS

05-31-04, 08:16 PM   #2  
Just for curiosity, how do you know you have asbestos in your popcorn? You won't be able to skim coat over the popcorn. Your mud would have to be an inch thick.

Visiting Guest

05-31-04, 10:42 PM   #3  
mortimer74
I know its got asbestos because I sent a sample to a lab. For $25 they told me it had 9% chrysotile. Made my day. . .

Why an inch thick? It seems to me you would only be filling in the depressions in the texture, just covering the low points (or high points depending upon your perspective). If the texture is a maximum of 1/4" relief, a layer of 5/16 would seem to be enough. But I am an amateur, so what do I know. . . .?

KS

06-01-04, 05:18 AM   #4  
It would be really hard to get a smooth skim over that. Also the popcorn, although painted, isn't stuck on very well. So I would go with hanging some new rock over it.

Visiting Guest

06-25-04, 06:37 AM   #5  
rcplaneguy
Posted By: mortimer74 I know its got asbestos because I sent a sample to a lab. For $25 they told me it had 9% chrysotile.
I would like to have my ceiling tested, too. What lab did you use? Contact information?
Thanks!

CAL

07-01-04, 12:47 PM   #6  
Check out this link for asbestos testing:

http://www.doityourself.com/home-safety/asbestos.htm

Search this Thread