More bathroom remodel GRIEF...

Old 05-31-04, 04:51 PM
lilredcorvette
Visiting Guest
More bathroom remodel GRIEF...

I've just about had it with my bathroom. My cousin (who said he'd done hundreds), 'remodeled' it and screwed EVERYTHING up, it's costing me thousands to fix it.

I hired a contractor to do some fixes and he's bailed - didn't show up or call. So I hired someone else who came highly recommended, we agreed he would start this morning. Well, he just disappeared off the face of the universe too. I feel like crying, but I decided to be proactive instead.

I need to paint my bathroom walls on Thursday and Friday. The contractor I hired was supposed to start this entire job by evening out the walls. When the remodel was done, the bottom part of the wall was demo-ed, leaving the top part original. There was plaster put on to 'join' the bottom and top part but it seems like it needs some more to even it out. I'd like to tackle this job myself - plaster or joint compound to even out the wall and then sand it down to make it level and put primer on it.

Please, please...I need some suggestions and advice. Is this a job I can do myself? I'm pretty handy, can you recommend some articles/websites I can visit that will walk me through plastering a wall, getting it even so it's ready for primer and paint??

ANY advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-04, 06:22 PM
lilredcorvette,

I'm in shock as to what has been happening here. I'm not understanding why good recommendation for someone and they bail. Why another who just didn't come? Is there other issues going on here that we don't know about?

My recommendation would be to call a drywall company or contact your local lumber yard for references. This would be better than me trying to even suggest doing this yourself. True, it's not hard but you need tools and if you want this done right, hire it out.

This is getting to be more than a real nightmare but I don't suggest trying this on your own. Don't know where you live so suggesting anything specific is a waste of time.

Good Luck but I have said that before!

Old 05-31-04, 06:40 PM
Help needed Immediately!

I have move this thread here as awesomedell can really provide great input here.

Old 05-31-04, 06:46 PM
lilredcorvette
Visiting Guest
I have no idea...

There are no other issues going on here. The first contractor I hired to fix things did redo my shower floor so I could take a shower. He was supposed to come the next day to finish the job. He seriously undercharged me and I think he knew it so he decided to just not do it. Then I hired someone else on the recommendation of someone in the neighborhood...I went to look at her bathroom that he remodeled and it looked great. He came over with an estimate we had a good conversation and then boom! he's supposed to show up this morning and never appeared. I left a few messages, asking him to at least call me with an update. There is nothing else going on except I have the worst luck in the world. I just don't get it - maybe it's because I'm cute and single and they think they can't trust themselves with me? I don't know...

But this is absolutely ridiculous, I've been through so much with this I just want to nail my bathroom door shut permanently and start showering with a garden hose in the garage.

Old 05-31-04, 06:51 PM
Any chance you could make some calls tomorrow or visit a good lumber yard for good references? I'm sure that there is someone where you live that could resolve these issues. I can't say much more than I'm very sorry to hear of such a disaster and circumstances that are so puzzling. Take a breather, make some calls and go from there. One step at a time, ok?

Old 05-31-04, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator
lilred,

Reading the description of your dealings with the first contractor I might suggest that you could be influencing the outcome of your project.
Not necessarily by your cuteness but your lack of a defined contract with an aggreed upon price.
You don't say how much work in total you are asking the contractor to do, but from a contractor's point of view, small jobs, especially when patching someone elses mess are difficult at the best of times.

When trying to locate a new contractor you would do well to have a list of exactly what you want done and give give him/her some leeway to pull apart the bad work and start from scratch.

Old 05-31-04, 08:09 PM
lilredcorvette
Visiting Guest
Well...

Thanks for your advice but that's really not the case here. The last contractor I hired...the one who was supposed to begin this morning...gave me a detailed written estimate. We discussed the project and different ways to approach it. He delivered a buttoned down professional estimate outlining each part of the project and attached a dollar amount. I tried to get the price down but he said it was the lowest he could go. We agreed the job would begin Monday morning. I also told him that I've been through the ringer with this remodel and told him how important it was that I have a reliable, good contractor to help me and he said to not worry and that he was the guy.

I did phone the person who recommended him to me and she said that it's not like him to not show up. She also said that he told her he was going away for the long weekend with his new wife. I'm hoping that while he said he was going to begin on Monday he wasn't taking the holiday into account and he'll show up tomorrow morning - Tuesday.