Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Stress crack repair

Visiting Guest

06-13-04, 07:32 PM   #1  
CuriousGeorge
Stress crack repair

I will be painting my kitchen in a few weeks. There is a stress crack fron the top corner of the back door to the soffit. The crack is about 8 to 9 inches long. I have not been successful in repairing these types of cracks in the past. They usually return within a month.

If anyone knows of a sure fire way to patch these type of cracks I would greatly appreciate it if you would share it with me. I seem to recal hearing of a product that will fill the crack and remain flexible enough so the crack will not return.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Sponsored Links

KS

06-14-04, 05:56 AM   #2  
Do you have drywall or plaster? If drywall then screw the drywall down as best as possible. It's over a door right? Then there should be a header. V out the crack and clear away loose stuff. Fill the crack with quick set mud, 20 or 45 minute. This won't be flexible but it will dry hard as a rock. Cover the crack with mesh tape. Make sure you bed the mesh in quick set. That way you are assured it won't pop. Then finish both sides with mud until flat and smooth.

Search this Thread