Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

attaching drywall to concrete?

NJ

06-22-04, 08:03 AM   #1  
attaching drywall to concrete?

I am in the middle of remodeling my kitchen. It is a brick ranch build in 1952 in NJ. I have removed all the walls to the studs except for one. There's one wall that faces the outside and it appears to be concrete, or cinder blocks. I have removed the plaster and all the corner wiring meshes. Can I just attach drywall to concrete? How do I screw the new drywall to the concrete (since there are no studs)? Is there some type of adhesive that I use instead of screws?

Sponsored Links

KS

06-24-04, 04:56 PM   #2  
Ya, you are going to have to glue it. They sell drywall adhesive at you local home store. Try to put some screws into the block to hold it or set up some wood to hold it while the glue dries. Or what I would do for a number of reasons is to fur the wall out with 2x2 studs and drywall to it.

NJ

07-06-04, 10:21 AM   #3  
Thanks for the reply coops28. Is liquid nails a good adhesive to glue the drywall to concrete? I came across it at the local HD and from reading the label it sounds like it might work. Also, what type of nails/screws should I use in addition to the adhesive? For studs, the USG sheetrock website recommends 1 1/4 inch bugle head screws. Would this type of screw work with a concrete backing?

One more question. When removing the old tiled wall some of the concrete was removed/damaged so there's an area where it's not smooth. How should I patch this area? Does joint compound work? Or do I need some type of mortar mix? Thanks again for any assistance.

MO

07-06-04, 10:29 PM   #4  
Depending upon what type of wall finish you planning on putting back there you might be able to get by with joint compound as a solution for the area where the concrete came off with the tile, but if you're planning on putting drywall back up there, I would follow coops suggestion to fur out the wall with 2"x and attach the drywall to that. Now if you're going back over that area with tile you need to fill and smooth it out with a cement based product.

Liquid nails isn't my first choice for this laminating drywall. There is a regular drywall glue made specifically for this use & can be purchased at a good lumber yd or home center.

Search this Thread