Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Knock down ceilings

Visiting Guest

06-27-04, 06:14 PM   #1  
aj3
Knock down ceilings

I am finishing my basement and am getting close to finishing the ceilings. I am going to do (attempt) a knock-down texture to match the rest of the house. I've found out the general technique, but none of the DIY articles I have read go into great detail.
1) Do I need to do a perfect 3-coat mud finish properly sanded, on the ceiling? Will minor imperfections get hidden?
2) One article I read suggested a primer coat before spraying the mud for the knockdown. Is this necessary (why)?
3) Should the knock down is done before/after the 3rd coat on the walls, or doesn't it matter?
4) Should I expect to need to do a touch up sand after the knockdown?
thanks in advance.

Alan

Sponsored Links

MO

06-27-04, 11:42 PM   #2  
Hi Alan & welcome aboard.

Two coats of mud would be the minimum you can get away with prior to doing the knock-down, three would be better, but it's done after the second coat routinely in alot of new construction. Yes a coat of dry-wall primer is needed prior to shooting the ceiling, otherwise the you will still see the seams after shooting the knockdown due the differing absorbtion rates between the plain face paper of the rock & the mudded areas. Doesn't matter if the ceiling is shot before or after the walls have the 3rd coat, but you can expect to get a little knock-down mud on the walls during the process that will need to be sanded. Once the ceiling has been sprayed & knocked down, there shouldn't be any need for further sanding on the ceiling.

Search this Thread