Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Walls & ceiling

Visiting Guest

06-29-04, 06:17 PM   #1  
Jason McManes
Walls & ceiling

I am painting the walls and ceiling of my kitchen, The walls were papered, heavily. After removing all 43 layers of wall paper and backing , I discovered bare drywall as well as some areas where the paper had come off leaving a rough paper bag like texture. I need some recommendations of what type of material I should use to cover this. I tried some elastomeric patching compound but it does not seem to be doing the trick. Any suggestions would be helpful. Also the entire walls feels to be covered in rough felling wallpaper glue. Any suggestions for removal would be great. So far sanding has worked but it has been very time consuming as wells as unnecessarily messy.

Thanks,

Jason

Sponsored Links

KS

06-30-04, 06:30 AM   #2  
A good product is called Gardz by zinsser. It rolls on clear and seals everything. Then you should skim over everything with lightweight mud.

Visiting Guest

07-02-04, 06:01 PM   #3  
Jason McManes
Walls & Ceiling

Thank you for the reply. I am not sure about the skimming with mud part. Sounds like it takes some skill. I had a problem with applying the elastomeric compound. It was not completely smooth, it dried, and now it wont come off unless I rip off more paper. Can you sand the mud after completion?

Thanks,

Jason

KS

07-02-04, 06:52 PM   #4  
Yes you have to sand the mud. Use lightweight mud and it will sand easier than all purpose and stick better than topping. You could also sand in between coats if you like.

Visiting Guest

07-02-04, 07:08 PM   #5  
Jason McManes
Walls and ceilings

Coops,

Thanks for the response. So mud is differet that elastomeric compound? I have been quite frustrated now that I have ruined my walls with this compound. It has ripped more paper off trying to sand it.

Thanks,

Jason

KS

07-04-04, 08:06 AM   #6  
Ya seems the elastomeric is for exteriors and is would be very hard to work with. You can go over the entire surface with mud (joint compound). 2 to 3 coats and sand at the end. This should straighten things out.

Visiting Guest

07-04-04, 12:30 PM   #7  
Jason McManes
Walls and ceilings

Thank You.

Search this Thread