Water damage plaster ceiling

Old 07-08-04, 04:35 PM
B_Man
Visiting Guest
Water damage plaster ceiling

The ceiling in my office has a large hole in the plaster ceiling, a result of water damage from a leaking roof. It is currently covered with a piece of plywood. There is also another, smaller, spot with the plaster ready to fall down, plus a third spot with visible water damage but still attached to the lathe. I will try to post some pics next time I actually get home

My office is a former porch that was converted a long time ago to an office/Den. It is a one story bump-out from the main house. It has a slanted roof that butts into the exterior wall just below the 2nd story windows. There does not appear to be any insulation in the ceiling. The ceiling and walls are both plaster with some texture, sort of a lined texture.

The roof has been fixed (leaks in the sealant between the exterior wall and roof) and I am ready to tackle the ceiling. I am considering rocking over the plaster, but I wonder if the water damage is too great for the plaster.

If I remove the plaster ceiling, I can install insulation, which the room could really use. But I suspect that the ceiling joists are not very well alinged and I will spend a lot of time and money shimming/firring to get a straight and level plane for the drywall. Also, How can I remove just the plaster ceiling without damaging the plaster walls at the ceiling corner?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

Brian

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-04, 06:37 AM
With that much damage I would remove the plaster. You can check for rot with it gone and insulate like you want. As far as the corners, there is usually metal mesh holding them together. You must cut the mesh to save the wall. Plaster will be at least 3/4 " and if you hang 1/2" rock then you will have a gap to patch anyway. So I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Old 07-30-04, 12:08 PM
B_Man
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply, Coop.

Any suggestions for dealing with joists that do not form a flat plane. That is, joists that are not aligned along where the sheetrock will attach.

Also, what should I use to fill the gap between the plaster walls and the new sheetrock ceiling.

Brian

Old 07-30-04, 05:22 PM
The only thing I can think of, assuming your joists are way off, is to pick the low spot and run 2x4's level with that and nail them into the existing joist. If its not too bad then you can shim the drywall with drywall shims. I would use quick set to fill in the gaps. Then tape over that.