Wallpaper board???


Old 07-09-04, 12:47 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Wallpaper board???


I am needing some help on what to do. My mother in law just bought a house that was built in the 50's but appartenly was remodeled already once(based on the horrid colors, i would say in the 70's.... The kitchen has some type of wallpaper board on it. It's not like the kind in mobile homes in the fact that it does not use regular batten strips to cover the joints where the sheets come together. There are actually plastic joints with grooves on each side that the panels slide into and are held in place. These plastic joints and the wallboard are factory papered. The panels also have paneling nails and possibly glue holding them in place. Does anyone no the exact term for this type of paneling? (because i dont know what its called, ive had a hard time researching it.)

We would like to paint it, but the texture on the wallboard does not look condusive to painting. We could wallpaper over it but we cannot remove the plastic vertical joints that hold the pieces in place. (because their flaps are actually underneath the panel on each side.) Any suggestions?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-04, 06:19 AM
Dave_D1945's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,178
If it isn't vinyl, it should be paintable. Any way to take a small piece to a paint store and get their advice?

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes