Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Mud how to

Visiting Guest

07-14-04, 12:51 PM   #1  
bklynjames
Mud how to

Can someone send me a good how to on how to properly mud walls that are in good shape. I just recently purchased a home and I really want to blow out the living room, and make it really nice.

Also proper sanding, like what grid to use for the finish coat would be great, Thankx in advance...

Sponsored Links

07-14-04, 04:17 PM   #2  
mudding for what?...if the walls are in good shape what are you mudding for?....adding texture?...removing texture?...filling small holes?...plz post more info so we can answer more accurately

Visiting Guest

07-15-04, 07:11 AM   #3  
bklynjames
Follow up

On one side of the wall one of the pieces of sheetrock bows out about an 1/8 of an inch on the top left-hand corner, and goes down the wall for about 1 1/2 ft. On the same piece of rock on the other corner lower right-hand side we have the same problem but it comes up from the bottom corner. It seems the piece of rock has somehow shifted and before I replace it I would like to somehow try and fix it, possibly building up a layer of mud. Am I right in my assumption???

07-15-04, 07:35 AM   #4  
your wanting to build-up mud on the rest of the sheet to match the 1/8" bow?......its possible...but i personally dont think you would ever stop the cracking no matter how much care you take in mudding, as that would be, by your figures given, at least a 5ft x 4ft square with 1/8" of mud on it, plus whatever is on the top and bottom 1 1/2 feet thats not bowed out.

Is the entire sheet tight against the studs...I can't see it but it sounds more like the corners have come loose or weren't fastened well in the first place. Try pushing on the bowing areas(lightly, in case they aren't on a stud evenly) if you haven't already and see if they will "draw in"...if they do...screw em down tight...use plenty of screws.....even 100 screws worth of mud is MUCH easier than mudding the whole sheet. (not that you would need near 100 screws). If it does turn out to be tight, I think I would just replace the sheet rather than put on 50# of mud (not trying to be a smart a55 but...just MHO)...then you can see why it was bowing in the first place and correct it (studs could be planed down, etc.)

Another thought, and again I can't see it so I'm just trying to visualize for myself, but if you add the mud all over, wouldn't that make that sheet 1/8" farther out than the rest of the wall......then you open a WHOLLLLLE new can o' worms....mudding the whole wall the way u did that one sheet. Alot of weight, alot of time, and a lot of mess if you ever have to remove the drywall (imagine 200# [or however much] of old, dry, drywall compound crumbling all over your floor).

If I have the wrong idea in my mind plz let me know and I'll try again ...post back results good or bad, we can all learn from it

Search this Thread