Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

drywall a ceiling

Visiting Guest

07-19-04, 08:50 PM   #1  
hvg51
drywall a ceiling

we are planning on replacing our ceiling of our pre-war apt. this weekend. it had acoustic tiles from the 50s that we ripped out. Now there are furring stips running along the ceiling and about 4 inches above that, the old, cracked ceiling from decades ago.

We planned on going to Home Depot this week to buy drywall and just install it, but we were concerned about soundproofing (we haven't actually moved in yet so sound may be a factor). Does anyone have a suggestion for good soundproofing insulation material.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

KS

07-20-04, 06:03 AM   #2  
You could put the foam insulation sheets in between the furring. That would help some.

Visiting Guest

07-27-04, 11:43 AM   #3  
MagusOfAtlan
Foam insulation will do next to nothing for sound deadening, as info.

Here's what I just did, and it's working very well for sound deadening. The ceiling I just put up was in the basement.

1. Attached 2x4's the flat way across the main ceiling boards to give more flat area to screw the drywall into. This also reduces the amount of attached area for sound to transfer through from the basement up into the living room. (Resilient Channel also works, but costs more and would have been more of a pain to do.)

2. Filled in the area above with R13 3 1/2" faced insulation. It's labeled as being sound absorbing, but does a minimal job at it.

3. Attached a layer of 1/2" sound-board by Homasote to the 2x4's.

4. Attached a layer of 5/8" drywall (white-board) to the Homasote (making sure to screw into the 2x4's above it.

The main key to this is the 1/2" sound-board. It looks and feels a lot like a thick cork material, but it's actually made to absorb sound. Check out www.homasote.com for more info. I had to order mine through Home Depot, but it only took a few days to get delivered (I had them deliver everything to my house, for only $49 it was worth having them unload it).

My project isn't quite complete yet, I'm drywalling the walls up now, but the difference is already noticable.

Search this Thread