Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Damaged drywall in bathroom

Visiting Guest

07-20-04, 07:07 AM   #1  
kcharney
Damaged drywall in bathroom

We have just bought a 12 year old house with wallpaper in all the bathrooms. Most of the basement bathroom wallpaper came off pretty easily (practically fell off the wall), but the wall underneath is pretty damaged. The paint is falling off in tiny little tiles, so it has to be removed before being repainted, and there are sections where the paper wouldn't come off except by pulling the top layer of drywall with it. At the top of the wall where the border was, the guy appears to have glued everything to the wall because nothing is coming off. We are debating our options:

1. Pay someone to completely re-sheetrock the bathroom ($$$$)
2. Spend hours down there repairing the walls - I've read many suggestions on this site on how to do that - then do a faux finish like Venetian plaster to hide the anomalies in the wall
3. Hang up some kind of nice looking paneling - but how will moisture in the bathroom affect the paneling?

Anyone have any advice or suggestions?

Sponsored Links

MO

07-24-04, 07:18 AM   #2  
Kind of sounds like the wall was never prepped properly for wallpaper or borders or else the humidity of the bathroom has adversely affected the walls. First thing, is there an exhaust fan installed in this room and if so is it working properly? If not, this should be remedied first thing or the problems you've described will reoccur!

As far as repairing the walls, if the drywall is sound, your best bet might be to rent a drywall sander, this is electric orbital sander which attaches to a shop vac and sand everything off then reprime with an oil based primer and use a finish paint designed for use in a bath/kitchen. Arcyllic paints will hold up best in these enviroments in my experience.

Regular wood paneling isn't a good option for a bathroom IMO. You might think about installing what are called vinyl bath panels in my area. This is a thin (like 1/8" or 3/16") vinyl panel that is applied with special type of liquid nails to the existing walls. You can get it in a slick, textured, of tile imitation finish. Make sure you get the right kind of glue to attach it to the walls, you want the stuff designed for bath panels & surrounds. Regular liquid nails will burn thru and show up on the finish surface.

If you decide to repaint or wallpaper in the room, you will need to skim coat the walls with drywall mud to take care of the imperfections or else they will show-up thru the finish paint or wallpaper. If you have some of the brown backer paper from the old wallpaper showing, I would first primer the room with a product called Gardz, made by Zinnser, this will keep the mud from blistering over these areas.

I would only recommend vinyl clad wall paper for a bath room also if you choose to go with wallpaper.

Search this Thread