plaster / stucco range hood?

Old 07-20-04, 03:19 PM
srd
Visiting Guest
plaster / stucco range hood?

I am remodelling my kitchen and want to make a custom range hood. I am looking for the plaster / stucco look and would like some recommendations. I have a stainless steel liner and a 1500 cfm exterior blower and plan to build the decorative hood around this. Can anyone provide recommendations for materials and design ideas? I was planning to build a frame, cover it with mesh and apply plaster or stucco but was looking for some advice from someone with experience.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-04, 08:51 PM
Plaster is usually gypsum. Stucco is Portland cement. Plaster is a little easier to work with in a condition like you describe. Use RedTop gypsum plaster by USG or Gold Bond Two Way Hardwall mixed according to package instructions with sand. Use diamond mesh metal lath or use blue board veneer plaster base as the substrate. Finish with a richer mix of the same material or with a finish plaster made for application over a gypsum plaster base. Any look is acheivable with either plaster or stucco.

Old 07-22-04, 06:40 AM
srd
Visiting Guest
Thank you!

Thanks for the input, it is very helpful. My Will this be considered a non-combustible surface when determining clearances?

Last edited by srd; 07-22-04 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Additional question
Old 07-22-04, 05:16 PM
You should check with the building code officials in your area. The fire resistive properties of gypsum plaster are well known.