Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Drywall Nails Popping-Out

08-10-04, 07:06 AM   #1  
Drywall Nails Popping-Out

Hi,

I have a 1.5 year old house. In our den room, on the northern exterior wall, several of the drywall nails/screws appear to have popped-out a little bit. This has caused the plaster/mud around the heads to crack, although the heads themselves are not protruding.

This issue only occurs in this one room, and only on the north wall.

My concerns are both aesthetic and structural, as follows:

1. From an aesthetic standpoint, what is the best method of resolving this matter? I don't want to make a small problem into a big problem, if you know what I mean.

2. From a structural standpoint, could this problem be a symptom of a more serious issue?

The wall in question has two windows (2'W x 4'H), and the heads about these windows are the most noticable. Between the two windows is a fireplace (never useds), and behind the fireplace is a dual-flue chimney. The second flue is for my oil furnance that resides in the basement below.

I appreciate any advice/feedback. Thanks.

Sponsored Links

08-10-04, 07:18 AM   #2  
Drywall Nail-Heads Popping-Out

Hi,

I have a 1.5 year old house. In our den room, on the northern exterior wall, several of the drywall nails/screws appear to have popped-out a little bit. This has caused the plaster/mud around the heads to crack, although the heads themselves are not protruding.

This issue only occurs in this one room, and only on the north wall.

My concerns are both aesthetic and structural, as follows:

1. From an aesthetic standpoint, what is the best method of resolving this matter? I don't want to make a small problem into a big problem, if you know what I mean.

2. From a structural standpoint, could this problem be a symptom of a more serious issue?

The wall in question has two windows (2'W x 4'H), and the heads about these windows are the most noticable. Between the two windows is a fireplace (never useds), and behind the fireplace is a dual-flue chimney. The second flue is for my oil furnance that resides in the basement below.

I appreciate any advice/feedback. Thanks.

Visiting Guest

08-10-04, 10:53 AM   #3  
MagusOfAtlan
I can estimate several reasons about why this would have occurred. I personally don't know of anyone who uses drywall nails rather than screws simply because of the possibility of them popping out with too much vibration or temperature fluctuation in the walls/ceiling.

If they are screws, it's possible the installer used screws that were too short.

A possible fix may be to sand down the wall, mark the studs, place new screws in the wall to add support, re-joint, sand, re-texture, etc.

You could TRY just putting in a few screws (after finding studs) and covering just those up, then painting - you might have an acceptable looking wall. It depends on how many and how bad they are popping out.

Search this Thread