Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Internal Load Bearing Wall and Header Installation

Old 08-12-04, 09:43 PM
ABolling
Visiting Guest

Ok, I have ripped into an internal wall seperating our breakfast area and the living room. I pulled the sheet rock off the middle 80% and exposed the 2x4's. (5 + 1 or 2 on each end) I remved 2 of the middle 2X4's in preperation of removing the others and the second one bound the sawsall which made me know there is weight on the wall. It is NOT in the correct place for a load bearing wall as it is 4' from the center of the living room center, but goes the same direction. In the attic I didn't see any 2x4's heading to the top of the wall, but the movement scared me.

Ok here is the question:
If I have several 2X4's currently supporting a wall how do I insert a header?
I can jack it up with one or more house/car jacks but how do I get these out of the way to get the heade in place? If I jack up the wall with the header - the obvious choice - how to I then get it into place when it is now supporting the wall?
There must be a trick....Any help would be...well very helpful! ;-)

Old 08-15-04, 08:31 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You should have built a support structure off the wall before you removed it. But of course it is too late now. Next time. Anyway that will probably work for what you want to do now. Build a T support with 2 studs about 2 feet apart and a top plate. put it up next to your old wall. Jack it into place. Then set your header.

Old 08-15-04, 03:53 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If when in the attic, you found no framing members crossing this wall, joined over this wall, or any 2x's terminating on this wall, its not a baring wall. Some times studs are field cut and may vary in length and when cut, give the appearance of loading. If your wall does not meet the qualifications of baring, you can remove it entirely.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: