Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

When to install baseboard molding ?

Visiting Guest

08-16-04, 08:34 AM   #1  
CJR2004
When to install baseboard molding ?

Hello,
We recently finished our basement and planning to put carpet on the floor.
My question is :
should the baseboard molding be put on the walls before carpeting or should it be put after carpeting or it doesnt matter the order in which baseboard molding and carpeting are installed ?
I have got conflicting info from couple of sources and am confused now.
help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

08-16-04, 09:40 AM   #2  
I would put the molding down after the carpet, if done before the stretcher may damage it. PLUS, the molding on top of carpet, it should hold it to the tackstrip, and look more finished (no carpet edges showing)

Visiting Guest

08-16-04, 09:53 AM   #3  
CJR2004
thanks a lot, that helps.

Visiting Guest

08-16-04, 09:57 AM   #4  
MagusOfAtlan
My carpet installer asked me to put the molding down first - 3/8" above the subfloor (for the bottom of the molding).

jproffer brings up a good point though, it makes me a little concerned about possible scratching of brand new oak molding...

Visiting Guest

08-31-04, 01:06 PM   #5  
CJR2004
I got my carpet installed yesterday. Not to mention it looks just beautiful now. The installer told me to put the base moldings now, just not to press it tightly against the carpet and leave a very very thing gap between the molding and the carpet.

Cheers!

Search this Thread