Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Plastering over greenboard or durock cement board

Old 09-05-04, 02:25 AM
supdawg
Visiting Guest

For whatever reason, I can't seem to find blueboard in any of the home improvement centers in my area (Los Angeles, CA).

I do have several sheets of greenboard and durock on hand, along with some metal lath. I was going to drywall an interior wall I reframed, but decided I'd like to go with plaster for it's added durability.

Can I plaster over greenboard or durock cement board? Is there any reason why I can't? If cement board is supposed to be waterPROOF, as opposed to greenboard which is waterRESISTANT, why can't I plaster over cement board? Does it have to be blueboard, which I can't seem to find anywhere?

Thanks,
Jason

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-04, 06:08 PM
Blue board is not used there, instead gypsum lathe, which follows button board in the platering evolution, is.

The answer is yes.

Old 09-06-04, 02:49 PM
Blue board is treated with a plaster bonder. If you plaster over regular drywall, then you need to roll on or spray on a bonding agent.

Old 09-06-04, 08:07 PM
supdawg
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by coops28
Blue board is treated with a plaster bonder. If you plaster over regular drywall, then you need to roll on or spray on a bonding agent.
Is that the only difference? I thought the gypsum core was also different. I have some bonding agent, but since it's liquid, how will greenboard or cement board react to having the bonding agent rolled on?

Thanks,
Jason

Old 09-07-04, 06:08 AM
The green board will do fine. I don't know about cement board. Personally I wouldn't use it.