Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Plastering over greenboard or durock cement board

Visiting Guest

09-05-04, 02:25 AM   #1  
supdawg
Plastering over greenboard or durock cement board

For whatever reason, I can't seem to find blueboard in any of the home improvement centers in my area (Los Angeles, CA).

I do have several sheets of greenboard and durock on hand, along with some metal lath. I was going to drywall an interior wall I reframed, but decided I'd like to go with plaster for it's added durability.

Can I plaster over greenboard or durock cement board? Is there any reason why I can't? If cement board is supposed to be waterPROOF, as opposed to greenboard which is waterRESISTANT, why can't I plaster over cement board? Does it have to be blueboard, which I can't seem to find anywhere?

Thanks,
Jason

Sponsored Links

09-05-04, 06:08 PM   #2  
Blue board is not used there, instead gypsum lathe, which follows button board in the platering evolution, is.

The answer is yes.

KS

09-06-04, 02:49 PM   #3  
Blue board is treated with a plaster bonder. If you plaster over regular drywall, then you need to roll on or spray on a bonding agent.

Visiting Guest

09-06-04, 08:07 PM   #4  
supdawg
Posted By: coops28 Blue board is treated with a plaster bonder. If you plaster over regular drywall, then you need to roll on or spray on a bonding agent.
Is that the only difference? I thought the gypsum core was also different. I have some bonding agent, but since it's liquid, how will greenboard or cement board react to having the bonding agent rolled on?

Thanks,
Jason

KS

09-07-04, 06:08 AM   #5  
The green board will do fine. I don't know about cement board. Personally I wouldn't use it.

Search this Thread