Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

best way to drop a ceiling?

09-09-04, 04:53 PM   #1  
best way to drop a ceiling?

Hey all,

I've got to drop the ceiling in my bathroom to accomodate plumbing we put in for an upstairs bath...I thought I would have to just build a new frame with lumber, but have heard that there may be other options...I guss it doesn't necessarily need to be that structural, just a surface to hang drywall from...
just fishing for thoughts right now...I need to hang a fan/light from this structure too.

zeke

Sponsored Links

09-09-04, 06:28 PM   #2  
Do you have some dimensions?

09-10-04, 08:20 AM   #3  
oh, sure...

it's a 6x12 (approx). bathroom.

THe ceilings were just over nine feet and I think the plumbing hangs down about 8 inches or so...so the new ceiling height will be probably just over eight feet...
I keep getting told about the stuff that they use to drop ceilings to hang acoustic tile from...I don't think that this will work in my case...seems like the drywall will be too heavy, and I have to mount the fan/light...

09-10-04, 07:00 PM   #4  
I agree with your reluctance in using a "T" bar in your situation, because you would have to use an expensive vinyl tile.
You can frame it for 5/8" drywall with 2x4's @24" oc., the 6' direction, or 1 5/8" 20ga. track and studs.
Both will support most configurations of fixtures you need or plan to install.
Be sure to provide for the exhaust duct, before closing.

Search this Thread