Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

alternative drywall ceiling fasteners

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

09-15-04, 09:42 AM   #1  
alternative drywall ceiling fasteners

Looking for alternative fastening techniques...

I'm about to hang a single sheet of 5/8" rock on the ceiling of a slightly less than 4'x8' bathroom. Ceiling joists run parallel to the 4' walls, but one of the 4' walls is the wet wall made of doubled 2x4's and lacks a joist or any other top sill fastening surface for the rock. This on the first floor, and plumbing from the upstairs bath makes it impossible to get access above the top sill to nail on a 1x6 or such as a fastening surface.

So I'm wondering if there's an appropriate "clip" that could be used to attach the ceiling panel to the horizontal members. Or an "L" -type bracket to attach to side of sill extending over and out from top of wall. Or any other design. It's tough to word this question... I know there are products out there, but I've never used any of them, so I don't know exactly what I'm looking for.

FYI: prior ceiling was lath & plaster with a 1/2" square trim running along top of sill on this short wall to nail the lath to, the ceiling sloped down from the adjacent joist to below this trim - totally unattractive and I'd like to avoid recreating that effect. I'd also prefer to avoid having to trim and drop the entire ceiling just to accomodate this one short wall.

Thanks for any advice,

Sponsored Links

09-15-04, 04:19 PM   #2  
There are clips designed precisely for the kind of application you've described. Tell the people at the hardware store/home improvement center that you need a drywall clip to support the edge of drywall in a corner/ceiling-wall junction instead of using wood blocking as a nailer.

If you can't find a clip anywhere else, there's one such product made out of recycled plastic called "The Nailer." The company's number (Millenium Group) is (800) 504-0043.

It sounds like you can't swing a hammer in the space above the wall, but you only need a couple inches of clearance for a box wrench or pliers. You could try tying a 1x6 nailer to the top plate in the 4-foot wall by drilling some holes in the wall's top plate and using nuts, bolts and washers to secure it. The clip is probably a better solution and won't require as much work.

09-15-04, 04:19 PM   #3  
The product that you are looking, in the trades, is referred to as "shiny 90" and is "L" metal. Its available in several gauges and lengths from drywall suppliers.
You need an 8' piece of 20ga.
Leveling across the joists, in a couple of places, strike a line on the wall that has no nailing. Cut the metal to fit, mark where the studs are, predrill holes for screws.
Install the metal with 2" coarce thread screws.
Install your drywall, using 1 5/8" self drilling screws for the drywall to metal connection. Use fiber tape for this joint.

KS

09-16-04, 06:21 AM   #4  
If it is 6" or less let it run with nothing. Your wall piece will hold it up. I've been doing drywall a long time and I have never seen a clip or anything else to act as backing for drywall.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

09-16-04, 09:38 AM   #5  
Thanks to all, many good options, I think I can find a solution among them.

Search this Thread