Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

covering acoustical tile

Visiting Guest

09-22-04, 01:23 PM   #1  
chuckit
covering acoustical tile

Any problems with covering acoustical tiles on a ceiling with joint compound?

I just want to fill in the holes and seams. It does not need to be absolutely smooth, since I want to cover it all with a very deep random texture.

I will make sure that all the tiles are firmly in place, but will I run into any problems that any of you pros can forsee?

Sponsored Links

09-22-04, 05:45 PM   #2  
They will absorb moisture, deteriorate, crumble and fall.

09-22-04, 08:48 PM   #3  
your name says what to do with that idea.

Visiting Guest

09-23-04, 09:13 AM   #4  
chuckit
okay, what if I first use a sealer/bonder primer paint?

Any constructive suggestions what I can do other than replacing the tiles?

09-23-04, 11:08 AM   #5  
I guess you could use an oil based primer sealer. Then you could fill the panel holes with lightweight patching compound [feels like thick whipped cream] seal that and add a small amount of texture to it and be ok.Now you have to seal that and paint maybe twice. oye. I think I might even skip the initial sealing of the panel before you add the patch to fill the holes, It dries fast and doesn't have much water in it. I would try it in a small area first, or better yet just prime it and you won't have to worry. Use at least a 3/4 nap roller and load the hell out of it for the first coat that will have to get into the nooks and crannies.

Visiting Guest

09-23-04, 11:31 AM   #6  
chuckit
Thanks for your advice! Any particular brands of lightweight patching compound I should look for/avoid?

09-23-04, 11:49 AM   #7  
there aren't that many Red devil or custom something or other are both ok. Stir it up with a paint stick or two, or a butter knife. Mix it all the way to the bottom. The stuff takes a little getting used to but is the right product for you IMO. It has a tendency to fall off the ends of the spackle knife a lot. I usually take it out of the container with a 6"spackle knife and put that in the middle of a 12" knife or take some out with the 12" knife and put it all on the ceiling and work it so that it stays away from the ends of the knife.

I am kind of wondering if you really need to fill in the panels if you are going to texture it anyway. I might be tempted to try to just primer sealer it real good with oil based primer and go to texturing. The only thing different would be the amount of spackle that ends up in the nooks and crannies. May be insignificant. That's up to you to test if you want to I would probably fill it with the light weight stuff, it don't take that long.

Search this Thread