Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Porch Overhang Sagging

09-30-04, 10:04 AM   #1  
Porch Overhang Sagging

I have a large porch with two support poles on the overhang. In the center of the overhang at the seam there is a slight sagging. The house was built in 1978. I plan to hire someone to fix this. Just wondering if this is a major expense or can this be fixed somewhat reasonable? Is it possible to just replace the outside wood that runs along the length on the outside? Does this require replacing both support poles? Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links

09-30-04, 01:27 PM   #2  
seems like the 2 supports might be holding up a beam of sorts that is undersized. How long is the porch and how far out from the house does it protrude. Easy fix might be to add a post in the middle. Is there a beam under the board that runs along the length of the house. If not the supports may be more ornamental than anything else. The rafters in the middle where it is sagging could be coming away from the house.Possibly jack up the porch in the middle and put up the fascia in the middle with 2 smaller pieces near the supports. A little more on the construction is required I think. Possibly post in the decks patio and porches forum with as much info as you can.It is much easier to give helpful advice when you have too much info rather than too little

10-01-04, 01:04 AM   #3  
Posted By: joneq seems like the 2 supports might be holding up a beam of sorts that is undersized. How long is the porch and how far out from the house does it protrude. Easy fix might be to add a post in the middle. Is there a beam under the board that runs along the length of the house. If not the supports may be more ornamental than anything else. The rafters in the middle where it is sagging could be coming away from the house.Possibly jack up the porch in the middle and put up the fascia in the middle with 2 smaller pieces near the supports. A little more on the construction is required I think. Possibly post in the decks patio and porches forum with as much info as you can.It is much easier to give helpful advice when you have too much info rather than too little
The support poles are actually outside the actual concret porch ( sort of a small court yard type. The over hang is about 25 feet in length by about 6 feet in width. In the very center where the seam is in the overhang there is grass below. Wouldn't I need to extend the concret to put another support pole in the center? If so, is it expensive to add and replace the support poles. What should I expect on a quote from a construction company? I don't want to get ripped off being an older widowed female. Thank for your reply.

10-01-04, 06:03 AM   #4  
Do yourself a favor and post in the "decks patio and porches forum" located in the exterior home improvements section. Someone there will help you out. It may help to let them know your approximate location this is the world wide web. If you live in the U.S.----- where? It matters. Things are different in Florida than Noth Dakota, or Japan. Please. for your own sake BE SPECIFIC.

Search this Thread