Vaulting a small bathroom ceiling...

Old 10-04-04, 11:52 AM
Seandiego
Visiting Guest
Question Vaulting a small bathroom ceiling...

I have a small bathroom (5x7) where I plan to install a skylight in the ceiling. Because the space is so small, I thought it might look best to vault the ceiling rather than frame in the surround for the skylight. To install the skylight, I would be cutting into at least 1 rafter. A book I purchased says you can cut into 1 or 2 rafters safely and shows how to reframe for the skylight. To vault the ceiling, I think I would have to cut into 3 rafters. How do I vault this small ceiling space without comprimising the structural integrity of my roof?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-04, 09:10 PM
Hello & welcome to the forums.

Would need to know alot more info before we could give you any worthwhile advice. Post back with more detail as to the current framing, what kind of roof is above it ( material & how many layers), how old is the place, etc. The more info we have to work with the better. Might also want to post up in Architecture & Codes.

Old 10-05-04, 04:48 PM
Seandiego
Visiting Guest
More detail on my small bathroom...

Thanks for your reply. I opened up the ceiling last night so my rafters and joists are exposed. There is a 2x10 center beam at the peak of the roof with 2x6 rafters that butt up to it at 24"oc. The joists run the full width of the roof (24 feet). On every-other rafter, there is a 1x6 attached about 2 feet down from the peak and an additional 2x4 support that goes almost verticle from the joist to the peak beam. (I saw a description similar to this referred to as truss construction...is that what you call this?) The house was built in 1961. After opening the ceiling, I found that I would only need to remove 1 rafter/joist to open the space enough to vault. My question has developed a bit in that I guess what I need to do to provide proper support to remove that section of joist/rafter. The joist/rafter that I would remove is not one of the alternating ones with the supports. I've taken photos and have posted them at webshots. Here's the link: http://community.webshots.com/user/seandiegan

As for the type of roof above, it is an asphalt roof with 2 layers on it.

Thanks for any info you can give.

Last edited by Seandiego; 10-06-04 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Forgot some of the info you requested.
Old 10-10-04, 11:02 PM
From the looks of things, this looks to be pretty straight forward typical framing. Take a look at the links on this page, I think you'll find pretty much all of the info you'll need to succesfully complete the project. Let us know if you have any more questions. Good luck! Skylight How-to Page

Old 10-14-04, 11:26 AM
Seandiego
Visiting Guest
Huge Success!!!

Thanks for your help! I was completely successful and it looks great!