Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Spackle v. Joint Compound v. Caulk

MD

10-18-04, 07:26 AM   #1  
Spackle v. Joint Compound v. Caulk

Could someone please tell me the difference between Spackle v. Joint Compound v. Caulk? Here's what I figure:

Spackle : Brittle but dries fast. Good for small nail holes, dents, or deformities in drywall or plaster. Also good for giving a joint compound patch a final touch.

Joint Compound : Strong but shrinks and takes a long time to dry. Good for larger holes, using any type of patch requiring taped seems, and other larger projects fixing drywall or plaster. Can require 2-3 coats but if you have the time it's the way to go b/c of its strength.

Caulk : Siliconized, paintable acrylic is good for small interior cracks and making moulding look great.

I'm totally confused and have used each of these things in my new 80-year old house, but am pretty sure I've used them wrong! Any help would be great.

Last edited by chandlermorse; 10-18-04 at 12:30 PM.

Sponsored Links

KS

10-19-04, 06:01 AM   #2  
You have the basics correct. What else can I say. the biggest difference is what they are made of. Each type of product has at least 3 sub products within them which have different uses. But you have the basic idea down. Go with your instincts.

Search this Thread