Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

soundproofing/sound dampening an existing wall?

Old 10-19-04, 02:43 PM
melle76a
Visiting Guest

i've owned my loft for about 4 months now, and it's great, but now that i've poured so much money into it, i've started to notice the little things that are not quite perfect about it. namely, one of my walls is all brick, save for this section (~ 8'x6') that was once a passageway but has been filled in with some sort of thin drywall. when my neighbor is on the phone or talking to her dog, i can hear everything she says, even when she's speaking at a normal level, and i'm SURE she can hear me and my boyfriend talking, my tv, my stereo, etc. not a huge deal, but it would be nice to not have to keep it down on my side, and to not have to hear her early in the morning from her side. since the area of wall is so small, i think it could easily be made more sound-proof, but i'm looking for some suggestions on materials that are easy to install, effective, and not very expensive. any ideas? help!

thank you!

Old 10-20-04, 07:11 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The simplest would be to remove the wall covering, insulate and recover.

However, inform and obtain your neighbors approval. She may find your life style far more entertaining the her own.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: