Qualifying Plaster Contractors

Old 10-20-04, 07:44 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Qualifying Plaster Contractors

I have had 2 contractors look at the walls and ceiling in a 2 flat, one mixes their own and the other buys ready made paster, is there a difference and is that differenece important enough use one or the other?

Thanks, Roger

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-04, 09:32 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Roger,
the mixed stuff is reffered to as hot mud...It dries quicker than premixed and is stronger...hot mud is better than premixed in a bathroom because it absorbs less moisture....
Both types are used regularly
the most important criteria is finished appearance..I recommend you call a few references of both...

Old 10-21-04, 03:31 PM
T
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Are you talking about real gypsum plaster? If so are you talking about the brown coat or the finish? If real plaster: Job mixed plaster with sand is better than Gypsolite or Stuctolite in most instances because it is a little stronger and harder. In some cases it makes it easier to finish if sand plaster is used. On the other hand it is cleaner and takes bags only as opposed to sand and plaster if mill mixed plaster is used. On the finish it it probabaly a toss up. If you are talking about drywall compound then it it likely a matter of personal preference or weather/drying conditions. I would go with the best bid. Best is not always lowest and that is for you to determine.