Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Painting damaged sheetrock

Visiting Guest

10-23-04, 12:11 PM   #1  
GForce22
Painting damaged sheetrock

I am painting a room that had, from outer layer in: Wallpaper/glue/cloth/paint/old wallpaper/sheetrock. Because the old wallpaper was so old, when it was removed so too came the top layer(s) of the sheetrock. For the most part, the sheetrock appears in good shape still. However, there are paper fragments/balls still attached. It seems sanding it won't really get rid of those, or will create new ones. They are small, I just can't get the wall 100% smooth as I would like.

If I prime/skim coat/prime again, will I be able to cover these little bits to the point where they won't be visible through the paint? I don't want the wall to appear textured at all and fear it might. Or do you have an alternative that won't cost me much.

Thanks in advance.

GH

Sponsored Links

10-23-04, 10:28 PM   #2  
Resurface with 1/4" then finish as you would any new service.

KS

10-25-04, 05:39 AM   #3  
Definitely prime the wall first. There is a product called gardz manufactured by zinsser which is made especially for this. It's pretty expensive so if money is an issue you could use kilz. Apply mud in thin layers. You may want to sand in between. The last coat is to fill in any imperfections.

Search this Thread