Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page > How to lower a 12.5' ceiling (from eng. joint) for a 10' height dry wall ceiling?

How to lower a 12.5' ceiling (from eng. joint) for a 10' height dry wall ceiling?

Old 10-24-04, 07:32 AM
plkwok
Visiting Guest
How to lower a 12.5' ceiling (from eng. joint) for a 10' height dry wall ceiling?

Hi,
I am trying to put a 9 to 10 feet drywall ceiling on my 12.5 feet high (from the bottom of engineering joint) basement (my wife hates suspend panel ceiling), can you please advise me how to frame it?

Thanks,

Paul

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-04, 11:55 AM
hi
how big is the basement
run 1x3 across at 16 in cc on the joist
cheers

Old 11-01-04, 06:51 PM
plkwok
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your info. The basement is about 1000 square feet. How about for the concrete wall which has not been framed yet?

Old 11-08-04, 12:08 PM
Sounds like a big job! How about you frame the rooms first (building stud walls inside the perimiter of the basement walls then use 2x6 lumber to make cieling joists (upright, of course, you'll want to check to see what kind of a span you can make without crowning). You might also be able to do it with 2x4 cieling joists if you secured the 2x4's to the joists above with steel strapping every 4' or so. I'd go with 16" OC so you can use 1/2" drywall. 24" OC is OK but you'll have to use 5/8" drywall.

Search this Thread