Options for Woodshop walls/ceilings?

Old 10-27-04, 11:42 PM
bborzell
Visiting Guest
Options for Woodshop walls/ceilings?

I just finished a new 24X24 woodframe shop on a raised foundation. It is not attached to any other structure. Three exterior walls are stucco with large awning windows on two sides. The front is Hardiboard with two windows and a roll-up door. I have insulated between the 2X4 studs with R13 Owens-Corning. Next will be a cover of 4 mil plastic as a vapor barrier.

So far, the options I have considered for wall/ceiling material are:

1 1/2" Drywall to studs
2 3/8" plywood with 3/8" drywall
3 3/8" Georgia Pacific Ply-Bead to stud

Option 1 gives me fire resistance, light reflective white wall but moderately difficult installation

Option 2 might be a bit easier in that the sheathing would allow for easy installation of the drywall and any hardware to hang tools, etc.

Option 3 gives me ease of installation, a look I like (wood like) and not so great fire resistance. Maybe an issue with wall strength.

The ceiling will be its own set of issues in that the roof is supported by an attic style truss system. I anticipate covering the two sections on either side of the attic storage area with whatever I end up with for the walls. Not too sure what to do about the area in the center with respect to insulation. I am under the impression that roof insulation in that area presents vapor issues.

Any thoughts or comments on the options I am considering would be appreciated. Thanks.

...Bob

Last edited by bborzell; 10-28-04 at 08:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-04, 07:32 PM
Next will be a cover of 4 mil plastic as a vapor barrier.
Did you install insulation without a vapor barrier?

3/8" Georgia Pacific Ply-Bead to stud
I like this one, too. I fail to see how it could be weaker as a sheath on the wall than sheetrock.

As far as fire resistance is concerned, are you trying to meet a code requirement? If you are worried about a fire, a sprinkler system might be a better option.

You might ask about the attic insulation in the insulation forum.

Old 10-30-04, 08:32 AM
bborzell
Visiting Guest
Wall options

Originally Posted by chfite
Did you install insulation without a vapor barrier?
I don't think so. There is an external vapor barrier (tar paper) under the stucco and the product I put over the sheathing between the studs has paper attached. The advice I got in the insulation forum was to do that and follow with 4-6 mil plastic sheeting over the insulation. Are you thinking that there is a problem with this approach?

...Bob

Old 11-03-04, 07:20 PM
Ordinarily, there is only one vapor barrier between the insulation and the heated environment. If the insulation has one, there would be no need to install another. Two will create an opportunity for entrapping moisure. You might check the information you got in the forum. It may be that the thread of discussion got confusing.

The tar paper under the siding has its own purpose, separate from the vapor barrier separating the insulation from the hvac.

Old 11-14-04, 05:59 PM
bborzell
Visiting Guest
Chris...

I went back to the "Insulation" forum and reread. There are several references from the forum moderator that he routinely covers kraft papered bats with a 4-6 mil plastic. I have the impression that he doesn't view papered bats as all that barrier-like.

...Bob

Old 11-14-04, 07:39 PM
It may be prudent to ask the very question in the insulation forum in order to get it straight in your mind. Understanding is a big part of receiving answers. Our aim is certainly not to cause uncertainty or confusion.

Old 11-19-04, 11:07 AM
Gregg
Visiting Guest
As far as the wallcovering goes, I would use 1/2" sheetrock (taped and finished) with a nice flat white finish on the walls and ceiling. This is what I did to my detached woodshop building about 10 years ago and I work in it almost everyday, and I have not had any problems yet.