Drywall Sealer question

Old 10-28-04, 11:48 AM
RichBenn
Visiting Guest
Drywall Sealer question

One of the bids I got back for drywall recommended a drywall sealer between the final tape coat and the texture coat to help prevent "flashing or photographing" On previous jobs, we only did a PVA primer/sealer after the texture coat for painting and didn't notice any problems.

My questions are whether it is a different type of sealer than PVA, is it necessary, and if so, whether we need to seal/prime it twice, then (once before texture and once before painting)?

Thanks in advance!

Rich

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-04, 08:34 PM
Hi Rich and welcome to the foriums. I always insist on two coats of PVA primer, one before the texture is applied and the second coat over the texture. The reason for this is to prevent joint photography and to insure the when the final finish paint goes on it will be absorbed equally over the entire surface. Now if you are planning on covering your drywall with wallpaper or other finish surface, the drywall still needs at least one coat of pva primer. Valspar New Construction Primer is what I normally use, but there are numerous brands on the market. Just make sure that what you use is designed for use over new hung and taped drywall, it'll prime and seal the board, ready to paint, paper, or whatever you've got planned. Good luck.