Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

newbie here, couple simple questions, frameing & drywall

Visiting Guest

11-01-04, 01:09 AM   #1  
swollenthumb
newbie here, couple simple questions, frameing & drywall

Hello all, newbie here with a couple of questions. I want to build a simple 15' x 25' gable roof workshop on a cement foundation, I want a standard 8' ceiling. My first question is, for an 8' ceiling do I measure from the bottom of the sole plate to the top of the top plate, or to the top of the cap plate? Also should the distance be exactly 8' or a little over to compensate for the thickness of the ceiling drywall? Next question, should the ceiling drywall be installed first or the walls first? Like I said I,m a newbie so be gentle with me. lLooking forward to your replies. Rick

Sponsored Links

KS

11-01-04, 05:19 AM   #2  
Lets see, a pre cut stud is 92". Bottom plate, stud and double top is 961/2". Or if you are going to cut your studs I would cut them a little longer. Always hang the ceiling first. Then Hang the top wall piece first, then the bottom. Make sure you stagger all your butt joints. Good luck.

Visiting Guest

11-02-04, 12:23 PM   #3  
swollenthumb
thanks

Thanks, thats pretty much what I had figured, but I wanted to be sure. questions are free , mistakes are not. Rick

MO

11-02-04, 01:30 PM   #4  
On the top of the top plate on both gable ends put some off fall 2X so it will hold down the ceiling drywall for you when you go to push up the wall drywall.

ED

Visiting Guest

11-02-04, 03:54 PM   #5  
swollenthumb
Thanks Ed

Thanks Ed, not 100% sure I understand but I assume your refering to some sort of a stop block (please correct me if I,m wrong) to keep the ceiling and wall drywall sheets at 90% to each other and give me a nailer for the ceiling sheet on the end wall right? Rick

MO

11-02-04, 04:45 PM   #6  
You got it. Just as a stop so you dont push up the drywall when you put the wall sheets up. Dont have to nail the drywall to them the side wall drywall will hold it up to the blocks

ED

Visiting Guest

11-02-04, 08:47 PM   #7  
swollenthumb
Thanks again Ed

Thanks again Ed, I learned somthing new today, so today wasn't non productive. lol

Search this Thread