Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Dry Wall Over Cinder Block

Visiting Guest

11-02-04, 10:22 AM   #1  
angieb
Dry Wall Over Cinder Block

I have a small cinder block home, approx 60 years old. There is currently panelling directly on the cinder block. My husband & I want to install dry wall over the cinder block, but have no clue how to go about it!! We also have the dilemma of working around floor radiators (boiler heating system). HELP!

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

11-02-04, 11:07 PM   #2  
u6crash
I've never done this myself, but my guess would be the best thing to do would be secure some furring strips to the cement with concrete screws, and then screw the drywall to the furring strips.

This is only my best guess, but if nothing else it will give you a bump until someone that's done it can voice their thoughts.

11-08-04, 12:00 PM   #3  
Best way is to costruct stud walls inside the existing walls. head over to the basement forum for specifics on how to do this.

MO

11-08-04, 02:33 PM   #4  
You can use a powder actuated ramset to attach furring strips to the walls. There are many brands of these tools on the market, some are fired by striking them with a hammer, others use a CO2 cartridge to fire the charge, which is a .22 caliber blank specifically designed for this purpose. The ones that use the hammer are inexpensive, (under $30), the better pro version will run you just under $100. Make absolutely sure you use the correct shot and pins for the model of fastener you're using. Safety goggles anf ear protection should also always be worn when using these tools. We generally use some liquid nails as well, which just sort of holds the furring strip in place until you get it shot to the wall.

As caleyg said in his post, the best and preferred method of doing this is to build a frame wall about an inch or so out from the block wall, but I have done in the manner I've described many times when space was a critical issue, Your furring can just be 1"x3" or 1"x4", if this is the way you want to go make sure you don't use drywall screws which are too long. We generally use 1" screws to attach the board to the furring along with drywall glue.

Good luck!

Search this Thread