Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ceiling stipple

Visiting Guest

11-06-04, 12:52 AM   #1  
210glenn
Ceiling stipple

Been waiting 2 months for someone to stiple my small bathroom ceiling.
It is fresh sheetrock taped and ready. Job is too small for anyone to rush over and do. I feel I can do it with a little advice from you guys.
I've got a stipple round brush. What's the consistency of the mud applied to ceiloing and do I roll it out? Pattern? do I touch into each stipple area or is each brush mark separate. This a Georgia home so you might get an idea of the usual technique done here. thanks 210 glenn

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NC

11-07-04, 04:59 PM   #2  
First, it's your house so you can apply whatever finish you want. I've seen some really interesting patterns so use your imagination.

First, I use a heavy duty drill and a mixer attachment to thoroughly stirr the mudd. This alone softens it up and makes it nice and creamy for some finishes. If it is too thick I slowly add a little bit of water. It does not take much water so add a little and test it before adding more. Usually I think people thin the mudd too much.

Cover your floor, and tape some paper or plastic to protect your walls. You are going to make a mess but don't worry, mudd cleans up easily with water even after it's dried.

You can dip the end of your brush into the mudd and dab it onto the ceiling. Making separate dabs to form a pattern. You can even dab the whole ceiling and lightly drag a wide 12" taping knife over it before it dries (this is more difficult to keep consistant). You can take a firm wide brush or a fine notched trowel and make half-moon patterns that look a bit like sea shells.

Go ahead and try a few things in the center of the ceiling to practice your technique. Use a spatula or wide drywall knife to scrape it off before it dries. Just keep practicing until you are happy with the results.

11-08-04, 11:49 AM   #3  
I agree and would only add that it's a little easier to roll some thinned mud on with a 3/4" nap roller and then use the stipple brush dipped in mud. Mud thinned too much or applied too thin seems to crack in my experience.

Visiting Guest

11-08-04, 11:52 AM   #4  
210glenn
Appreciate you advice. Got a question on dabbing the brush in mud then applying to ceiling. Does this provide full coverage over the entire ceiling, no bare sheetrock? You must dab the ceiling pretty close each time so that all ceiling covered in mud? I thought I remember rolling out the ceiling first then dabbing? Your way sounds good, if I can cover all sheetrock. thanks

11-08-04, 11:59 AM   #5  
I rolled it out to cover completely and used a large paintbrush to get in the corners before I started with the stipple brush. Oh, don't forget to use a drywall primer first! That way the drywall paper is completely covered and the full coverage of drywall mud gives a consistent color without painting. Another option is to use paint instead of water to thin your mud--if you do this make sure you do it all in one batch to maintain consistent color. Of course you could paint last, but what a pain that would be!

Visiting Guest

11-08-04, 03:32 PM   #6  
210glenn
Thanks guys for the advice. Believe I can tackle small bathroom project now.
If no one shows up this weekend. It's mine to finish.

Search this Thread