Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page > exterior wall water leaking onto concrete floor

exterior wall water leaking onto concrete floor

Old 11-06-04, 07:22 AM
gtslabs
Visiting Guest
exterior wall water leaking onto concrete floor

I had a window sill leak and had to tear out my living room drywall under the window across the length of the room. The entire sill board was rotted and had evidence of Carpenter Ant presence. I removed the sill board and replaced and reinforced the studs that were also damaged. I sealed the window also. I replaced the lumber with treated lumber. However, the floor is a concrete slab (second floor). The exterior is some type of Styrofoam with a stucco finish. Now when it rains I am noticing the floor directly under the newly laid lumber getting damp. I have no idea where it is coming from. I am not sure what to do from here.

Can I spray some type of sealer on the exterior of the stucco wall to prevent water infiltration during rain?

Also, what is the best way to secure the new boards to the concrete floor? Should I drill thru the board and into the concrete with a hammer drill then place tapcon screws? It is too late to use liquid nails as everything is set.

I am also planning on using a plastic sheet on the interior over the insulation behind the drywall to prevent the water from damaging the drywall as before. I am hoping that the treated lumber will
prevent wood decay. I also plan on baiting the area for Carpenter Ants.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-04, 12:56 PM
If you have the right kind of stucco for your area (there are different types that are used in various climates), the stucco probably isn't the issue.

My first guess is that it's a window flashing problem. When you replaced the sill, I have to assume that you removed the window. Even if you sealed the window with caulking, you may have re-flashed the window improperly (or the flashing got bunged up). If it's a sill leak, I'd look at the bottom corners of the window flashing first. I'd put down money that you'll find a tear or bunching or some other avenue of ingress in the corner.

A second possibility is that you messed with the roof underlayment when you replaced the window. This is a less common problem, but as I have reason to know, you can get an inside rainstorm if the drip edge and underlayment get messed up over a window.

The simplest way to determine if you have a flashing issue is to turn a hose on the window (around the edges) for 15 minutes or so and see if any water gets into the house.

As for installing the new sole plate, masonry nails and a hammer will work just fine. Or you can use tapcon screw or a powder actuated tool to drive fasteners into the concrete.

Water-damaged drywall is probably your best friend in a case like this, so I wouldn't go covering it up with plastic sheeting just yet. Drywall is cheap, and water-damaged drywall will let you know that something is wrong behind the wall. I'd wait until you're sure the problem is fixed before you start covering up the wall again. Re-flash the window and leak test it. Once you're confident that the leak is fixed, then re-insulate the wall and put on your wall covering. If you use unfaced insulation batts, you should install the plastic vapor barrier. If you use faced batts, you don't necessarily need the sheeting.

Search this Thread